buildr-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Tiwald <>
Subject Re: Buildr aborted! RuntimeError : can't create Java VM
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:33:47 GMT
On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Mark - Mixtup wrote:

> After getting buildr running on my Windows XP 32-bit laptop, I'm now having
> trouble running it on my Windows 7 64-bit home machine. I read somewhere
> that running 64-bit Java against 32-bit Ruby would not work so I updated my
> JAVA_HOME variable to point to a 32-bit installation but the problem
> persists.

Hey Mark,

Your issue is way beyond my knowledge of buildr, but have you tried simply reinstalling it
after updating the JAVA_HOME variable? Something like

$ gem uninstall buildr

then following the windows installation instructions here

Just a thought. I use OSX myself, so I'm not familiar with the Windows installation method.
All the same it seems like a quick and dirty way to avoid some debugging pain.

Christopher Tiwald

Reliability Architect
Salsa Labs, Inc.