buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: How well does buildr subsume rake?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:15:46 GMT
Understanding Rake helps you 1) write your own tasks and extend buildr and
2) be more effective when developing/debugging your build.

I think the important concepts about Rake are summarized here:

This being said, I have to agree the Rake documentation isn't great.  There
was some recent discussion on the Rake mailing list about this -- but I have
not seen any actual progress yet.

We've also had discussion on the buildr mailing list about providing a more
basic tutorial that covers some of the rake basics.  I actually have some
scraps/draft documentation on my system about that but it's not ready to be
published.   I recommend you try out things and ask questions -- a good way
to learn (IMO) though not necessarily the easiest.