buildr-users mailing list archives

From Allen Riddle <>
Subject Re: How well does buildr subsume rake?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:35:55 GMT
I can offer the same testament as Christopher.  Now, I do have a good amount
of Ruby experience, but I think the tutorialization on the Buildr site is
excellent, and will probably get you through most of your common tasks.  I
use the API docs (I THINK they are a little stale, am I wrong here? If they
are, this is something I'd like to help update as we're investing in Buildr)
and they provide helpful information.

The few times where I felt there was info missing from the doc, I was able
to get into the source code and figure things out fairly quickly.  For
instance, by default Buildr will import JMock and Hamcrest if you're using
JUnit as your testing framework.  My particular project unfortunately has to
target the Java 1.4.2 runtime, so I was able to see how to write a custom
test framework class that just includes the JUnit 3 jar.

If you're new to Ruby, it certainly might not be the most efficient to read
through source code to figure out the more esoteric tasks, but I think
learning a bit of Ruby will go a long way since Buildr is pure Ruby beyond
it's core DSL.  Overall, I'm super happy that we dropped Maven and went to

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Christopher Tiwald