buildr-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Tiwald <>
Subject Re: How well does buildr subsume rake?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:40:19 GMT
Hey Olivier,

For what it's worth, I was able to convert our 2908 lines of xml in a dozen different poms
into a 169-line buildfile. Took about a workday. About 100 of those lines are dependencies
and I have about as much Ruby experience as a bored college freshman who "checked it out"
that weekend the Team Fortress 2 servers crashed.

The docs and examples on were pretty much all I needed. Dug into the API
docs for a method call or two but our software's architecture makes Jackson Pollack look well-organized.
For straightforward project management, buildr was an absolute breeze. So easy, in fact, I
thought I was doing it wrong. I'm going to blame maven for that.

On Jul 7, 2011, at 1:33 PM, Olivier Lefevre wrote:

>> I recommend you try out things and ask questions -- a good way to learn (IMO)
>> though not necessarily the easiest.
> Asking lots of questions (possibly silly ones) in public in an age where employers,
> colleagues, customers or various firms and software programs deputized by the
> above routinely trawl public fora to compile your profile an decide whether you're
> a dunce is not an appealing proposition. Once upon a time it might have been OK
> but this is the age of zero privacy, invasive searches and real-time violation. This

> makes good docs more important than ever.
> -- O.L.

View raw message