buildr-users mailing list archives

From Joe Van Dyk <>
Subject Re: Sample buildr project, completely self-hosting
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:01:09 GMT
BTW, I know Ruby pretty well, but have no java experience.  I'm
looking to get into using the JVM more (with JRuby and Scala).  Any
recommended resources for getting to know the JVM world better?  My
end goal is to write web services powered by Scala and integrate them
with a Rails frontend.

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Joe Van Dyk <> wrote:
> I'm a big fan of easy project setup.  I've just started getting into
> the JVM/Scala world, so I'm looking into the best ways to
> package/manage software.
> I created this sample project:
> If you have java and git installed, you can check out the project, then run:
> export PATH=$PATH:$PWD/vendor/jruby/bin
> buildr package
> This will compile the scala sources and run the tests and package the
> jars.  Notice that you didn't have to install jruby or rubygems or
> buildr.  You don't have to download any more software during the
> compilation process.  You check out the project and that's all - you
> can disconnect your internet and go program on a boat.
> I wish more projects would do this sort of thing, instead of requiring
> users to install a whole bunch of software, setup environment
> variables, etc.
> Anyways, buildr looks pretty sweet, digging into it now.
> Joe

View raw message