buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: ivy4r vs buildr
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 01:48:01 GMT
On Sunday, August 22, 2010, Nikos Maris <> wrote:
> Why does buildr provide dependency management when there is already
> Ivy? Does it make sense to make the transitive method use ivy4r in an
> upcoming buildr release? Having a fork of Ivy that is less
> configurable but simpler, is something that I wished when I started
> these days to learn Ivy.

What buildr does today is the minimum/easiest that could accomodate
people without reinventing Ivy.

Yes, the plan is to reuse Ivy (or a subset) to complete transitive
dependency support.  It will likely be an opinionated approach, with
many choices taken out of what's possible to do with Ivy, aligning
ourselves with Maven in terms of compatibility, and favoring

For people who want full Ivy support, Buildr would defer to the Ivy4r plugin.

The timeframe for this seems to be Buildr 1.5 -- hopefully before the
end of 2010 but no guarantees.

View raw message