buildr-users mailing list archives

From Klaas Reineke <>
Subject RE: ivy4r vs buildr
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:05:47 GMT

we are using Ivy for dependency management since 2007 in our company because of the nice transitive
dependency management features. If I had the option to establish a different approach I would
just use buildrs simple dependency management features, especially after creating ivy4r for
our seamless migration from ANT to Buildr. Transitive dependencies seam to be great till the
first time you got an old version of artifact X that makes problem with library Y and you
need to exclude this stuff. The white-listing of dependencies as needed when using buildrs
dependency management is great to have the smallest sub-set of dependencies possible.

We used to create handcrafted ivy.xmls for an in-house Ivy Repository for every external library
because ibiblio does not provide ivy.xmls for most libraries. This was quite a lot of work
so we shifted to use public Maven repositories behind a Nexus proxy. This shift brought new
problems. Our WARs and EARs are now much bigger in size, because of all the transitive dependencies
defined we do not use but retrieve nevertheless from the Maven world.

If I could start from scratch I would just use buildr as is. Right now our infrastructure
is so tightly integrated with ivy that it would be a lot of work with no real benefit. If
you have the choice you should evaluate if you would really like to host an in-house Ivy Repository
and maybe an additional maven proxy like Nexus to support your builds with all the complexity
that Ivy and transitive dependencies bring. Maybe the simple approach can work for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Boisvert []
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 3:48 AM
Subject: Re: ivy4r vs buildr

On Sunday, August 22, 2010, Nikos Maris <> wrote:
> Why does buildr provide dependency management when there is already
> Ivy? Does it make sense to make the transitive method use ivy4r in an
> upcoming buildr release? Having a fork of Ivy that is less
> configurable but simpler, is something that I wished when I started
> these days to learn Ivy.

What buildr does today is the minimum/easiest that could accomodate
people without reinventing Ivy.

Yes, the plan is to reuse Ivy (or a subset) to complete transitive
dependency support.  It will likely be an opinionated approach, with
many choices taken out of what's possible to do with Ivy, aligning
ourselves with Maven in terms of compatibility, and favoring

For people who want full Ivy support, Buildr would defer to the Ivy4r plugin.

The timeframe for this seems to be Buildr 1.5 -- hopefully before the
end of 2010 but no guarantees.

View raw message