buildr-users mailing list archives

From Shane Witbeck <>
Subject Re: what are buildr users using to deploy?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:24:06 GMT

I have dozens of Java apps that can be classified as dependency, standalone,
batch, and web. I've heavily extended Buildr to group similar functionality
for each type of app. For example, the web apps, all get deployed to one or
more Tomcat instances on several machines. By grouping the functionality, I
keep things concise and only have to update code in one place if I change
the way I deploy web apps.

I use net-sftp to upload all relevant files to a common NFS location for
each environment (we have 7 different environments). Then use net-ssh to do
pre and post remote operations like restarting Tomcat instances or
stopping/starting remote scripts.

I've been inspired recently by reading about some people are using
Capistrano to deploy Java apps and yesterday hearing about Twitter using
Murder to deploy to their large server farms.