buildr-users mailing list archives

From Antoine Toulme <>
Subject Re: always running test for other project
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:11:40 GMT
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:05, Jean-Philippe Caruana <> wrote:

> Le 23/03/2010 15:44, Antoine Toulme a écrit :
>  It's a bit delicate: we can't know for sure that nothing changed.
> But, if nothing changed (no file changed on other projects, so tests are
> always ok), I don't need to rerun tests, as I don't need to re compile.
> When i do "buildr compile test=no", the 1st time it does compile every
> project. The 2nd time I launch "buildr compile test=no", it does not compile
> any of them since nothing changed.
> I thought it would be the same behaviour for testing, otherwise I don't see
> the point. Let me quote the online documentation about projects :
> "In reality, it does the right thing. A simple rule to remember is that
> each project definition is executed before you need it, lazy evaluation of
> sort. The reason we do that? So you can write projects that depend on each
> other without worrying about their order."
> What did I miss ? How can compile be different from testing ?

> > You could have changed the version of a dependency in your Buildfile
> How can I detect a change on my buildfile ?
> Can I add a file task dependency on the buildfile ?

A Buildfile is a dynamic object - meaning it can fetch the dependency
numbers from somewhere else, an other file, or using some mechanism.
No, that won't cut it.

> > or the tests require internet access.
> not in my project : we just do unit testing (
> we use CI for
> other testingm purposes (acceptance, integration etc)

OK, but as a rule of thumb, we won't know about it for sure.

>  To avoid running tests, you can do:
>> buildr package test=NO
> That's not what I want : I want to run tests for my artifact and not for
> the other projects, so I can't use "test=no".
You can run tests for a particular project.

Here for example:
buildr myProject:artifactToBuild:test