buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: Controlling verbosity
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:59:31 GMT
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Rhett Sutphin <>wrote:

> I like the idea, but I think the environment variable is a bit clumsy and
> hard to discover.  What about a parameter for --trace?
> buildr --trace       # traces everything
> buildr --trace=tasks # traces just build-related bits -- task executions,
> things logged with `trace` in buildr & extensions
> buildr --trace=ant,javac # ups the verbosity for just ant and javac

Good idea;  I'll see what I can do.

My only objection here is that I think --trace to trace everything is a bad
default.   I think most people want to trace task execution by default and
then selectively opt-in for more verbosity.    I would go for --trace=all to
enable everything.

My other assumption is that we would go and update the documentation to
clearly identify what are the possible trace values, both as reference for
all values and in each relevant sections for task-specific values.   (I'm
volunteering for this too).