buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: Always compiling
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:03:16 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Oliver Frommel

> Alex Boisvert schrieb:
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Oliver Frommel
> > <>wrote:
> >
> >> after some try and error I managed to create a buildfile for a small
> >> Scala project that uses some artifacts from Maven repo and some local
> >> libs. However every time I am running buildr it compiles the source code
> >> files again, even if nothing has changed. Is this the default behaviour
> >> or is there anything I can do to change it?
> >>

> > Most likely you have a source file (Foo.scala) that does not generate an
> > equivalent class file (Foo.class).
> >
> I see. How can I fix it? Is there no way to "hard code" dependencies
> like that, like in classic make, where I could write
> someCrazyClassname.class: src/main/scala/com/example/Foo.scala

That's not (easily) possible under the current scheme.

> What can you do anyway, when a Java/Scala source gets compiled to many
> class files?

Many .class files doesn't matter, as long as at least Foo.scala -> Foo.class
then you don't have to worry about it producing other ones.  They will
always be recompiled correctly.   The only waste here is that it may
recompile many classes in a single file whereas it could have recompile only
a single one.  It's up to you to break it down into multiple file if that's
an issue.