buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: jruby ruby environment switch
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:42:52 GMT
On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Peter Schröder <> wrote:

> hi,
> i have a non-buildr-related question, but i think that here is a good place
> to ask!
> i am currently working on os-x with ruby and jruby related tasks. i am
> including my jruby executables and gems to the path in my .profile file.
> if i want to switch to the default ruby environment i comment out that line
> and jruby is gone.
> i have to reopen the command-lines everytime i do that and it is also
> confusing for me when i forget to switch back, or i install gems to the
> wrong ruby version etc...
> is there some best practice for that? is there some possibility to attach a
> custom profile for the terminal so that i can open up two seperate terminal
> instances, a jruby and a ruby one?
> i wish everyone a good start to the new decade!
> kind regards,
> peter

My own low-tech way of switching is to define RUBY_HOME is my .bashrc,
adding ~/bin to my PATH, having executable scripts in ~/bin for all common
Ruby commands. This is ~/bin/ruby,

exec $RUBY_HOME/bin/ruby "$@"

(Similar template for irb, ri, rdoc, ...)

And creating shell aliases to switch between different versions,

alias ruby18="export RUBY_HOME=/path/to/ruby-1.8"
alias ruby19="export RUBY_HOME=/path/to/ruby-1.9"
alias ruby?="export | grep RUBY_HOME"

I use the same approach for switching between JDK5/6, Scala 2.7/2.8, etc.