buildr-users mailing list archives

From Sten Roger Sandvik <>
Subject Re: Buildr or Gradle?
Date Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:28:37 GMT
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Alex Boisvert <>wrote:

> I haven't taken a serious look at Gaddle's design, but if we take out
> individual features (which may evolve differently on both sides), I would
> think the main deciding factor is your desire to work with either Ruby or
> Groovy.
Groovy is easier for me (as a Java developer), but Ruby has more "real"
script feeling that I really enjoy.

> On bigger projects, it's likely that you'll either want to extend the build
> tool or find issues (bugs or otherwise) and at that point, your comfort
> level with the language itself becomes quite important if you need to dig
> into the source or debug what's happening.
> One particular thing I enjoy about Ruby is the "Ruby is Unix" mentality
> where you can (more) easily interface with other native *nix tools, use
> fork() and such.  If your approach is more towards abstracting away the
> operating system, and/or if all your libraries and tools are JVM-based,
> then
> this aspect may not carry as much weight.  (Example:  Buildr calls 'svn' or
> 'git' directly instead of using equivalent Java libraries)
That is actually a good thing. To much abstraction in the build system will
lead to more complex build systems. Like the feeling that it is simple and
right to the point. Maven is too heavy weight.