buildr-users mailing list archives

From Peter Schröder>
Subject AW: compiling groovy fails
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:07:50 GMT
Hi Alex,

I think that the Problem comes directly from my JRuby environment and has nothing to do with

I just looked into the JRuby-jar which has interned a Version of ASM (jruby/objectweb/asm).
So I think that overriding the configuration wont help anyhow.

Jar-Hell... If this is true you cant use GroovyC from Buildr using JRuby without patching
one or the other.

The artifact_ns method is referred to at least in the doc of ScalaC and GroovyC. I think that
there is also some issue with the doc of artifact_namespace.rb,
because there is nothing generated for this class looking at

Could you also tell me when the changes of the latest release will be reflected in the Page-Documentation
and in the git-mirror (

Kind Regards,

Von: Alex Boisvert []
Gesendet: Montag, 12. Oktober 2009 22:39
Betreff: Re: compiling groovy fails

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Peter Schröder <> wrote:

> Currently I am stuck building a groovy-sub-project. It fails compiling the
> groovy-source:
>  [groovyc] Compiling 1 source file to
> /Users/peterschroder/ruby/buildr-examples/building/compiler/groovyproject/target/classes
> E, [2009-10-12T18:39:36.709000 #76434] ERROR -- : Error instantiating
> 'groovyc' task: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.objectweb.asm.ClassWriter.<init>(Z)V
> Buildr aborted!
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.objectweb.asm.ClassWriter.<init>(Z)V

Hmmm.  I can't reproduce this on my setup.  Can you give more details about
your configuration?

> require 'buildr/groovy'
> Buildr::Groovy::Groovyc::REQUIRES.groovy = '1.5.4'
> But it did not solve my problem...
> There are lots of bad examples in the documentation, wich make the
> learning-curve very steep. I am trying to fix some of these mistakes while
> creating the examples.
> Looking at the rdoc of some internal classes I think that these are
> substantially wrong and I dont have enough knwoledge to fix them right
> away...
> I can put a marker on all documentation that looks fishy, if someone will
> have a look.

I'm happy to review+test anything that looks fishy.

Assaf, is this supposed to work?

artifact_ns['Buildr::Groovy::Groovyc'].groovy = '1.5.4'

I have to admit I've never really completely grokked all the artifact_ns()

View raw message