buildr-users mailing list archives

From Martin Grotzke <>
Subject segfaults with java 6
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:00:02 GMT

I just want to address the issue, that with java 6 there can occur
segfaults from time to time. The advice ([1]) is to go back to java 5 or
to use jruby. Both solution are not ideal IMHO. java 5 might not be an
option as there are already projects that require java 6, and jruby is
not ideal as it has longer startup times of buildr. Therefore, from my
point of view, running buildr "natively" is the best option and if it's
required with java 6.

For new users this might be an issue that causes a loss of trust in
buildr and the stable build.

Do you also think that this issue should be addressed and eliminated?

Are you aware of any reasons that might cause the segmentation faults?

I have also a concrete example (from one of my colleagues) with a
segmentation fault. That's a part from the build output:

$ buildr clean; buildr -t
Testing needed. Latest prerequisite change: Do Jul 30 10:59:26 +0200 2009 (/home/philip/projects/final-folder/buildfile).
Last successful test run: <EARLY TIME>.
** Invoke ff:core:test (first_time)
** Invoke /home/philip/projects/final-folder/buildfile (not_needed)
** Invoke ff:core:test:compile (first_time)
** Invoke ff:core:compile (not_needed)
** Invoke ff:core:test:resources (first_time)
** Execute ff:core:test:resources
** Invoke /home/philip/projects/final-folder/core/target/test/resources (first_time)
** Execute /home/philip/projects/final-folder/core/target/test/resources
Segmentation fault

This is caused by the invocation of just buildr (without any task), if
buildr is invoked with a task (e.g. build, compile or test) there's no
segementation fault.

This are the versions of buildr, ruby and java:
Java: 1.6.0_14
Ruby: 1.8.7
Buildr: 1.3.4

If that's also the case for other users, a first workaround might be not
to promote the invocation of just "buildr", but instead say that "buildr
build" should be run.

What do you think?

Thanx && cheers,

View raw message