buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: How to generate sources for/before compile
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:12:20 GMT
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Martin Grotzke <> wrote:

> I have one question: What is "sources" for? From my understanding the
> sources are generated _in_ (the body of) the generate task (a file task
> in this case)?

In most (all?) cases the generated sources are derived from something else.
For example, you may have a code generator that uses templates or you wrote
a grammar for a domain-specific language and you generate lexer/parser code
from this grammar (e.g. JavaCC, ANTLR, ...) or maybe you're generating POJOs
from a database schema, or some web services stubs from a WSDL definition,

By wiring the sources as a dependency on the code generation task, if you
change your template or your grammar then the generated source will be
regenerated and recompiled automatically.

Hope this makes sense now...