buildr-users mailing list archives

From Martin Grotzke <martin.grot...@javakaffee.de>
Subject Re: How to generate sources for/before compile
Date Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:42:53 GMT
On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 17:12 -0700, Alex Boisvert wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Martin Grotzke <
> martin.grotzke@javakaffee.de> wrote:
>
> > I have one question: What is "sources" for? From my understanding the
> > sources are generated _in_ (the body of) the generate task (a file task
> > in this case)?
>

> In most (all?) cases the generated sources are derived from something else.
> For example, you may have a code generator that uses templates or you wrote
> a grammar for a domain-specific language and you generate lexer/parser code
> from this grammar (e.g. JavaCC, ANTLR, ...) or maybe you're generating POJOs
> from a database schema, or some web services stubs from a WSDL definition,
> etc.
>
> By wiring the sources as a dependency on the code generation task, if you
> change your template or your grammar then the generated source will be
> regenerated and recompiled automatically.
Great, this really helped!

And I read these days about rake tasks, which are essential for
understanding buildr IMHO, and helped me understanding your
explanation :)

From my point of view it would be good to have a kind of conceptual
documentation/explanation of how buildr works, additionally to the
currently existing documentation (which is good to read, but has lots of
text). This conceptual documentation should separate the different
concepts. E.g. to me (java user, coming from ant and maven, without any
ruby knowledge) it's not clear, what concept is part of ruby, rake,
buildr etc. To have a summary of the essentials would help to get more
out of buildr.

Cheers,
Martin