buildr-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <>
Subject Re: Welcome to Rebase Hell!
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:57:24 GMT
Welcome back from lurk-mode!  :-)

I think this is an interesting issue beyond just Git vs SVN and how the
project is hosted.  As Assaf said, the Git repository is still synced to the
SVN (and vice versa), so there isn't any real side-stepping going on.  In
fact, committers could use SVN directly if they so choose (without any
negative impact on an SVN-based workflow), it's merely personal taste which
drives everyone to Git.  The interesting point though is that while in
incubation, Vic's GitHub repo really became the "unofficially canonical"
one.  While Buildr's site did point everyone to the SVN *first*, the culture
was such that Git was really the convention/standard across the board.
That's not to say that SVN was discouraged in any way, it just wasn't used
(except as the main store-point once commits were made).

The larger issue here is what does it mean to be the "primary" source when
all sources give the same artifacts?  Is it the repository officially
recommended by the project?  Is it the repository decided by the "wisdom of
the masses" in the development team?  As solutions like Git, Mercurial and
Bazaar catch on, I think we're going to see more and more projects raising
this issue: what does it mean to have multiple "canonical" sources and when
does it really cause problems?

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Martijn Dashorst <