buildr-users mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <>
Subject Re: Welcome to Rebase Hell!
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:34:01 GMT
On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Victor Hugo Borja <>wrote:

> I guess Buildr was one of the first Apache projects using git for
> development. Our github mirror at vic/buildr from incubation days was
> created from server, and as Assaf mentions, TLP there seems
> to be some restrictions on using git-svn on asf/ directory level on that
> server, so our best bet would be to use eu.svn..
> One issue is duplication of commits history because Git uses the author
> name/email to create the hash for a commit. Actually we faced this problem
> back early when we started playing with git, a bare git-svn clone from
> would have git-svn generated user name/email for the commit
> hash. When we pushed into github, we did using our real name and the email
> address we were using for our github account. That caused our commit
> history
> duplication due to having different user info on each commit,  we kinda
> solved it using a etc/git-svn-authors file so that git-svn could know which
> apache account mapped to github accounts.
> Now, we could easily use Jukka's git mirror[1] but we have some issues to
> solve.. Jukka's mirror was created by a bare git-svn checkout (yet it uses
> our real user names and apache addrs), so if we push these commits to
> github
> we would have again a duplication of commit history, because commits on
> Jukka's mirror have been signed with our apache account and know nothing
> about github (doesn't use etc/git-svn-authors).
> I'd propose using [1] and push a fresh clone from it to vic/buildr. Using
> GitHub IMHO has many advantages over just using [1], first is we have more
> control over when to update the mirror with current branch, and can keep it
> more up-to-date if needed, we can push directly to it, and easily use the
> fork queue to integrate other's changes. In doing this we (buildr commiters
> using github) would need to make some changes..
>  - Get a fresh clone from [1] and cd into it
>  - Use your apache account to git push (would have done this from the
> beginning)
>     git config
>     add on your github account so it can recognize changes
> made by you.
>  - Now the tedious thing would be to get changes from your experimental
> branches into your new clone without having duplicate commits.
>  - I would update git-svn-authors to use our apache email addresses, and
> also update the buildr-git to use eu.svn as [1] does.
> What you think about this?

We can use this author list:

I'm with you in using Github as the main repository:

1. Good UI for tracking commits, navigating the tree, code review, etc, even
if not using the Git part of it.
2. You had vic/buildr synchronizing against SVN within the hour.
3. Anyone can get a free account, fork Buildr with a click, use it to share
their work.