buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Suppressing retesting when the buildfile changes and/or only running tests for one project
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:18:25 GMT
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Martin Grotzke <
martin.grotzke@javakaffee.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 11:27 -0800, Alex Boisvert wrote:
> > I believe it's an indirect dependency.
> >
> > Let's say I have 2 modules "foo" and "bar".
> >
> > bar:test depends on foo:package (say for a jar), but foo:package depends
> on
> > foo:test.
> Ok, makes sense.
>

> > So I think the option would be to break the dependency between package
> and
> > test so that you can manually specify only the tests you want to run.
> Is this possible somehow for this scenario?
> Or is it possible, to specify that projects that the current one
> dependends on shall not be built?

It's possible with some coding, not possible as-is.

I was discussing this with Assaf who happens to be sitting next to me and
our main concern is giving an option that effectively disables a lot of
"magic" in Buidlr.  The potential for shooting oneself in the foot is
considerable given that many don't necessarily understand all the
implications of transitive dependencies.

If you've changed your Buildfile and added a dependency that hasn't been
built yet, and then run buildr --without-transitive-dependencies and the
build breaks, it's not clear whether most people will immediately understand
what happened or spend the next 45 minutes figuring out why buildr works
sometimes but not always.

alex