buildr-users mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <>
Subject Re: Why use buildr?
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:47:53 GMT
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Martin Grotzke <> wrote:

> Hi,
> in our next project I'd like to use buildr for build management.
> Now I only have to convince my colleagues, why we should use buildr and
> not maven or ant+ivy.
> I'd say it has the best of both worlds:
> - standard build process (like maven)
> - conventions for project/directory structure (like maven)
> - dependency mgmt using maven repos
> - and though it provides the flexibility as ant does
> - all ant tasks can be used in buildr
> It has some advanteges over maven and ant:
> - buildr is even easier and more flexible as ant since you don't have to
>  work with xml to do e.g. an if/then/else - just use ruby (no need to
>  create tasks/mojos)
> - build profiles supporting inheritence (and usage of profile
>  variables/properties)
> - much more compact than maven and ant
> - great multi-module / multi-project support: if you have project A and
>  B, where B depends on A, then you can just build B, which
>  automatically triggers a build of A if necessary
> - fast (I only compared it to maven)

Another advantage is that plugins are very easy to write compared to Maven,
or even Ant.    (But I guess this all depends on your level of comfort with
Ruby/Rake and available documentation/examples)

To be fair to my colleagues I'd also like to mention the drawback I see:
> - relatively new, so there might be some issues we run into
> - not so many examples / documentation available (as it's new),
>  however, this is compensated by this great mailing list :)
> - not so many built-in reporting-plugins available as they are available
>  for maven

Depending on the culture of your company, you can run into some resistance
when introducing a build system written in a different language than your
mainstream language (Java?).    It definitely helps if developers are
comfortable with Ruby.  I would recommend taking some time to study Rake
(which is similar to Ant) since Buildr is based on the task-dependency model
of Rake.

Also, installing Ruby + Buildr can be relatively difficult on some computers
compared to Maven/Ant ... It's generaly easy but there are still a few

We're here to help if you run into any issue...