buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Antoine Toulme" <>
Subject Building and testing Buildr plugins for profit
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 07:54:45 GMT

while it's still fresh, I'd like to share the problems we encountered to
build a plugin with Buildr.

As you may know, Buildr is packaged as an application, so doing a require
"buildr" brings quite a few things.

In our case, we wanted to build a spec that was pretty much a copy/paste of

We tried first by requiring the gem and some of its modules. It turns out
that there are a few clever tricks made in spec/spec_helpers.rb that are
necessary to send rake tasks properly.

In the end, we were able to test by placing buildr4eclipse along with
buildr, and required the file explicitely.
With that setup, tests are actually running in the buildr/tmp folder :-/. At
least we could run the tests.

There doesn't seem to be a way to require spec/spec_helpers.rb in the gem.
The file is present in there though.

I am quite unsure there is a pleasant way to work around those problems. If
the Buildr team is interested into helping with supporting testing of
plugins further more, I'd be happy to discuss about it.