buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <>
Subject Re: Interactive Shell Support
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:00:00 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Daniel Spiewak <> wrote:

> The Scala shell *is* basically done.  It's missing JavaRebel support, which
> is kind-of a minor thing (incidentally, how should options like this be
> passed to tasks?).

I think this is a good candidate for an environment variable.
(which can also be set via the buildr command-line)

 It also spawns a sub-process, rather than running in the
> existing JVM.  I'm actually not sure that this is a bad idea, although it
> does impose slightly more overhead.

I don't think this is a bad idea.   It might also be necessary for irb +

Another thought: coming back to the generic framework, perhaps the shell
> launched should be configurable?  It could default to whatever shell was
> associated with the compile.language, but the user could also override in
> the project definition to choose a different shell provider.  For example,
> use jirb a lot with Java projects (scala too come to think of it).

I would like that as well (smart default, project override) and even
command-line selection, e.g.

buildr myproject:shell:jirb