buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <>
Subject Re: [buildr] Downloading artifacts' sources
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:47:52 GMT
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Timo Rantalaiho <> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, lacton wrote:
>> I think the discussion that's happening in the comment section of
>> BUILDR-164 concerns many users, so I start this thread so that the
>> user base can be heard.
> Yes, thanks!
>> * modify the IDE tasks so that they reference the source artifacts
>> available in the local repository.
> Here I'd like to add that neither Eclipse nor IDEA seems to
> find having references to inexistent source jars. It seems
> more helpful to have extra source jar references than missing
> some of them sometimes.
>> Q1. Should we add a task dependency so that IDE users have the sources
>> automatically available in their repo (i.e., task 'eclipse' =>
>> ['artifacts', 'sources'])?  Or should the IDE task use source
>> artifacts only if they are available locally and it would be up to the
>> user to call 'buildr sources'?
> It would be good to get the sources by default. I suppose
> that for some special cases such as building on a build
> server or building for deployment in a machine not used for
> development it might be useful to be able to download only
> the binary jars. But nearly always it's better to have the
> sources available.
> Note that the IDE tasks of build tools always lag behind the
> development of the IDEs. At least with maven 2, buildr 1.2
> and buildr 1.3 we always end up tweaking the files produced
> by the build tool manually, and often if you just add or
> upgrade one dependency it's easier to do it by hand than by
> invoking the ide task.
> So with Maven, I'm updating the source references by doing
>  mvn install
>  mvn -DdownloadSources eclipse:eclipse
>  svn revert .classpath
> It would be nice if buildr could do better here :) E.g.
>  buildr artifacts source # look ma, without touching the IDE files

I'd like to see a sources task, and it should grab both sources and
binary artifacts, so buildr sources would be enough.

I have no opinion if this should be the default dependency for IDE
tasks, or you have to run sources explicitly.

>> Q2. Should the new 'sources' task download all available sources for
>> all Artifacts, or should it recursively download source artifacts
>> based on compile and test tasks?

Ideally, only the artifacts you actually need, which are related to
the compile/test tasks; no point in downloading artifacts that you'll
never touch.  I can't think of a concrete example where it would be
much different from downloading all artifacts, so I guess downloading
everything would be good enough to start with.  The artifacts task
does that -- being the simplest thing that could possibly be written
in a few minutes -- does anyone have a case where they wishes
artifacts downloaded less?

> I don't understand the difference of these two, but the
> first sounds better because it's simpler ;)
> Thanks for working on this!
> Best wishes,
> Timo
> --