buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Ittay Dror (Freiman)" <>
Subject Re: specifying metadata for an artifact
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:26:54 GMT
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Assaf Arkin <> wrote:
> I think the metadata belongs in the file (OSGi), not something
> separate (Maven), and should propagate through the artifact.  Separate
> from how you get it into the artifacts.  Projects are a good way to
> inflict common meta-data on packages, which we already do (e.g.
> manifest and META-INF files) often by inheritance.

This is not my use case. My use case is this: I want to compile C++
code. To that effect, I need 3rd party packages. Usually the
convention is to have a xxx-dev package containing headers and
libraries of a particular application. So I download the package and
unpack. So far, all is well. Now I want a project to link with *some*
libraries from the package. Linking with all creates conflicts. So the
metadata I want is something like :xxx => ['', '']. (meaning,
my project will link with and from package (artifact) xxx).
Other projects may wish to link with other libraries.

So far, this is indeed something that looks per project, but usually,
these things tend to repeat (other projects will link with the same
libraries). So what I would have liked is to be able to define
something like :a_and_b_from_xxx and then use it in 'compile.with' of
the projects that need it.

Other examples can be turning on preprocessor defines.

All of these are not part of the artifact, but part of how to use the artifact.

> Assaf
>> alex

View raw message