buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <>
Subject Re: specifying metadata for an artifact
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:35:42 GMT
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Assaf Arkin <> wrote:

> I think the metadata belongs in the file (OSGi), not something
> separate (Maven), and should propagate through the artifact.  Separate
> from how you get it into the artifacts.  Projects are a good way to
> inflict common meta-data on packages, which we already do (e.g.
> manifest and META-INF files) often by inheritance.

I have different use-cases as well.

One would be to annotate artifacts with licensing information (something
that few artifacts have in the wild), and when I package these artifacts I'd
like to include the license file in the .war, .aar, etc.

Another one is packaging different .jars in a .war or .ear file depending on
the appserver.   I'd like to be able to annotate the artifact and say that
it's provided in Tomcat and Jetty, but not in Websphere.

There are other ways in which I can achieve this, but I've found the
metadata approach to be the most practical in keeping things DRY and
isolated to a single definition point.