buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <>
Subject Re: [buildr] resources under eclipse
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:31:56 GMT
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM, lacton <> wrote:
> When building with buildr, resources are copied to target/resources or
> target/test/resources. Yet, when running the eclipse task, the same
> resources go to target/classes or target/test/classes.
> What are the reasons for this difference?

Putting resources inside src/main/java doesn't work too well, it's
hard to tell whether an HTML page or image is part of the
documentation (used by javadoc), or resource that should be copied.
So package(:jar) collects files from both target/classes and

But resources are not tied to Java specifically, while target/classes
is specific to the JDK compilers.  A project can contain nothing but
resources, or combine resources with some other binary target (not
target/classes).  That's the rational for separating target/resources
from target/[binary], where [binary] depends on the language you're

If we wanted to route resources to target/classes, it would help to
rephrase that as "would it work better if everything gets generated
and packaged from target/code".  I'm using target/code because it
helps frame the problem independently of Java, which is just one
language.  The alternative is to have multiple target directories,
which is what we have right now.

> Would someone be dissatisfied if I submitted a patch that would make
> buildr and eclipse more consistent about this?
> --
> Lacton

View raw message