buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Caleb Powell" <>
Subject javac's -cp flag (a buildr compilation bug?)
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:35:06 GMT

I was using buildr (1.2.1) to compile code in an existing Maven project. The
compile task failed because the Java compiler (Sun JDK1.4.2_13 on Windows)
does not accept the
'-cp' alias. From what I can tell, the '-cp' alias was not introduced until
the 1.5 compiler. Here was the output where JAVA_HOME was set to the Sun
1.4.2_13 JDK;

Compiling 403 source files in pharmacy-core:compile
javac: invalid flag: -cp
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
  -g                        Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                   Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source}    Generate only some debugging info
  -nowarn                   Generate no warnings
  -verbose                  Output messages about what the compiler is doing
  -deprecation              Output source locations where deprecated APIs
are used
  -classpath <path>         Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>        Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>     Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>           Override location of installed extensions
  -d <directory>            Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>      Specify character encoding used by source files
  -source <release>         Provide source compatibility with specified
  -target <release>         Generate class files for specific VM version
  -help                     Print a synopsis of standard options

rake aborted!

Assuming that buildr should be compatible with the 1.4.x JDK's (is this
assumption wrong), than I think this qualifies as a bug (which could be
easily addressed by using 'classpath').

In the meantime, is there any workaround to this issue (short of using the
1.5 JDK)?

"I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the
present, or nothing but the past."
 - John Maynard Keynes