buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Victor Hugo Borja" <>
Subject Re: [Nailgun-users] Buildr's nailgun server running on JRuby
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:18:16 GMT

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <> wrote:

> Wow, cool. Have you looked at what we provide in JRuby proper? Basically
> if you pull JRuby sources and "ant jruby-nailgun" you can use a
> jruby-ng-server and jruby-ng commands to run JRuby as normal.

Yeah, I know of jruby-nailgun, however I think most jruby users would
normally download the
standard jruby binary distribution ( I currently have 1.1RC2 ) and it comes
without nailgun.

Anyway, that's why buildr's default NAILGUN_HOME points to
$JRUBY_HOME/tools/nailgun, so that
if buildr finds nailgun jar/executable already there, it wont
download/compile/install nailgun.

> There seems to be some we should figure out how to share
> some code going forward.

I also read JRuby's nail code  :)
Buildr implements a custom nailgun server, and a queue of jruby runtimes, so
when a nail-client
connects, it just takes an already initialized (preloaded buildr with all
required gems) runtime and
just executes the tasks. Best of all it's all in ruby, and uses lots of
JRuby's features.
Here's the current implementation if you want to take a look, the
BuildrNail, BuildrServer, BuildrFactory
classes are the most relevant:

Quaerendo invenietis.