buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <>
Subject Re: EAR task
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:36:16 GMT
On 12/14/07, Victor Hugo Borja <> wrote:
> Hi,
> A few questions.  Adding WARs has its own syntax, different from adding
> > EJBs
> > and JARs.  Wouldn't it be possible to use the same array accessors for
> > all
> > three, so you can use << or package(:war).with(:jars=>..., :wars=>...)?
> >
> > Jars vs lib.  Is WEB-INF/lib actually used in WARs, or should we just
> > have
> > one of these options?
> >
> > The "/remoteService" shortcut is a nice tought.  I'm not big on the
> > syntax,
> > though, it looks like a path name which besides being a valid argument
> > (dependencies are all files) is also confusing.  But I would like to see
> >
> > this feature, we just need to find a good syntax for it.
> >
> > I'm thinking maybe a spec shortcut  :remoteService:war that will try to
> > resolve to lookup that archive type on another project?  That could be
> > added
> > to the artifacts method and used elsewhere.
> >

> I've made several fixes to the EarTask, also added a patch for it on
> Syntax for adding components has been unified and now is more DRY, your
> comments
> have been very useful, please read the issue description and tell me what
> you think of
> the new syntax.

It's not only DRY, it's also more natural to use, letting the task figure
out which archive to put where.  I like that.  And the comment is very well

I am wondering if we still need to keep separate arrays for WARs, EJBs, etc,
so you could also do package(:war).ejbs = '....', and have the add() method
push arguments to the appropriate arrays.  The rational is that having an
array accessible, you write some generic features, for example, you can
check that a WAR contains a certain library by inspecting the
package(:war).libs array.

Since EarTask is a JarTask, which itself is a ZipTask, you can already add
files in specific paths with include(), so I don't know if we need to add
the separate :dir option.  This will help simplify the add() method.

Best Regars!