buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <martijn.dasho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git forking for fun and profit
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 15:05:35 GMT
On 5/1/08, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, Assaf is not proposing to migrate away from the SVN
>  central server, just offering an easy solution for people who'd want to do
>  some experimental developments. What could be wrong with that? AFAICT it's
>  definitely a best practice in open source.

I'm not keen to restart the git discussion again. Using a DSCM is
according to a lot of folks within the foundation antithetical to the
Apache Way. There are others who claim that this Apache Way is based
too much on the svn workflow. In either case: git is not supported,
nor will it be anytime this decade for Apache development.

In any case, experimentation should be ok. But I do think taking baby
steps in this regards is wise, especially when a lot of incubator
folks are really allergic to git and the Linus style of development.
Since the incubator has a final say in whether a podling 'gets the
Apache Way', ensuring their happiness is really important. I'm not
sure whether or not this will become an issue upon graduation, but my
advise is to really take it slow with these kinds of experiments.

Also note that the incubator folks have vast experience in creating
successful Apache communities. So don't take it lightly when they
frown upon distributed scm's in podlings.

IMO, forking really is against the Apache Way, which has nothing to do
with a particular workflow, but because it doesn't foster a community
driven development practice. Development within Apache must take place
in the open, on the mailing lists, through a central repository.
Forking goes against that principle.

Martijn