brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: New `website` branch in brooklyn-docs
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 12:26:28 GMT

Richard, All-

I think it's wrong to split user guide and other parts of the web site.

I don't see a good reason for it apart from us liking more bifurcations
along technology lines (and these are evolving).  I don't see why
sub-dirs aren't appropriate or are difficult.  (And was it really
necessary to abandon the subdirs in order to support gitbooks?)

To me, `brooklyn-docs` is the canonical collection of resources that
explain Brooklyn - what it is, how to use it, examples, reference, etc.
The user experiences this through our web site. It is a coherent piece.
The guide is a large chunk of this which has some unique aspects -- it
is built differently (gitbooks, and generates PDF) and we maintain old
versions of it (but not the website) but that is it.  To me that's not
sufficient justification for the weight and tedium of a separate project.

Our project divisions should be things that are easily explained to new
people coming to the website.  Explaining the difference between "guide"
and "other-things-on-the-site" at this level is a bit obscure and
certainly not important.  A division makes things harder for a casual
contributor wanting to fix something (they have to know that difference
and grep in two projects/branches). It also as noted makes it harder for
us to add docs re features if these need to be done in two places.
Thomas says we know how to have multiple PRs but they are still irritating!

Finally:  the lifecycle of the two IS pretty much the same as I see it.
There are two classes of changes:

    * new features - these only apply the next release, so are not
published - normal workflow is to push to master and not publish

    * fixes and non-code enhancements (eg listing new members) - these
apply to the next release and the current version (and in the case of
guide possibly older versions though updating this is less important) -
normal workflow is to push to master branch and last-released branch,
then publish last-released branch

These are the SAME for guide and for non-guide website content. The idea
that we only have one branch for website feels wrong, as it either
discourages non-guide updates for new features, or it risks publishing
these updates before they make it in to a released version.  Efforts in
that direction will backfire and make the risks Richard speaks of (wrong
content live on our website) more likely IMO.  The one version
difference is that older versions of the guide are included when
publishing whereas older versions of non-guide content is not, but
scripts take care of that, and it's a detail most users and developers
don't need to know about it, so it doesn't seeem a good reason to
introduce a project boundary.

So... if the publish/version lifecycle is the same, and change sets to
both are common, and they make a coherent piece, then focussing on this
dichotomy and splitting up the projects seems unfriendly to doc
consumers and to contributors -- and these should be the primary audience.

Best
Alex