brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Brooklyn 1.0 release
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2017 15:41:56 GMT
+1 with conditions :-)

Yes, I'd like to see Apache Brooklyn 1.0 released. I'd suggest that we
would get ASF PR involved to generate a bit of buzz around this, and
possibly approach some of our commercial users and friends to chip in with
some PR too.

But going to 1.0 (and generating some media buzz around it) brings
responsibilities. If the media buzz brings in new users, we want to make
sure our usability is as high as possible - this covers the app itself, as
well as the website and the documentation.

So to answer your question with some more questions...

Are we feature-complete?

Do we have great usability? Good user stories for all our types of users?

Are we happy to freeze our API in its current state?

Are we happy to accept a stricter deprecation policy going forward?

Is there nothing that we want to deprecate before 1.0? (That would imply
another 0.x release cycle)

Have we removed every deprecated thing that we can? (If something is
deprecated but cannot be removed, why?)

Do we have great documentation?

Do we have a great website?

Does our documentation and examples reflect the "best" (not deprecated,
outdated or suboptimal) way of doing things?

Will the blueprints in the wider community be compatible with the proposed
1.0 release or do they need updating? (We will need to work with those
blueprint owners to get the blueprints updated.)

Are we prepared to personally get involved in a media and visibility push?
(e.g. using our own Twitter, networks, getting more people involved in
managing the official Apache Brooklyn social media channels, etc.)

Are we prepared - in the event of a successful media blitz - to handle more
users coming to this list, IRC, Twitter etc. looking for help?


If we can answer "yes" to all of these questions, then we are ready to
release 1.0. If any of these questions is answered "no" or "maybe" then we
should wait, or consider making a 0.13.0 release first.

Richard.


On 3 October 2017 at 16:33, Duncan Godwin <drigodwin@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Following the release last week of Apache Brooklyn 0.12.0 I propose that we
> make the next version of Apache Brooklyn 1.0.0.
>
> Apache Brooklyn is robust, stable, feature rich and being used in
> production by multiple enterprises. Our deprecation policy means we haven't
> treated it like a 0.x release in a very long time.
>
> With 0.12.0, we did the last major thing needed before a 1.0 release: we
> switched to Karaf as the primary distribution and we deprecated the
> "classic mode". What does everyone think?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Duncan
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message