brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: REST API: bundles + types + subtypes endpoints
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:38:40 GMT
Thanks Alex.

As per my comment in the PR at
https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/810#issuecomment-330824643.

---
TL;DR:
Given this is a big API change and given I'm suggesting a `/v2` REST api
then I wanted to raise it on the list as well.

I propose we split this PR into two. The `/bundles` part we can merge
pretty quickly. However, the `/types` and `/subtypes` is too
controversial in my opinion - it probably deserves a `/v2/` of the REST api.

We can continue detailed discussion in the PR.

---
I don't want to lose the word "catalog" in the REST api - it's so good
at getting across the meaning for users! The alternative `/type` is just
not as good, in my opinion.

The multiple endpoints of `/types` and `/subtypes` is confusing. I'd
model the latter as just a filter on `/type`. It would be better
achieved with an additional query parameter rather than a separate endpoint.

If designing a `/v2` REST api, we could use `/catalog` instead of
`/type`. However, it will likely take a while to get to a stable and
good `/v2` api. There are other cleanup/improvements we should probably
do to the REST api if we're releasing a new version of it (e.g. exclude
the deprecated stuff, get rid of `/locations` but figure out if we
really need to support locations from brooklyn.properties, find out from
the community about other inconsistencies or hard-to-understand parts of
the api).

The meaning of `GET /subtypes/application` looks completely different
from `GET /catalog/applications`. The latter retrieves the catalog items
marked as `template`, but the new api returns everything that implements
`Application`. Perhaps this is an opportunity to get rid of the "entity"
versus "template" distinction (at least in the REST api). The original
meaning/intent of "template" has entirely changed / been misused! I
believe it was originally intended as a partially-complete YAML
blueprint that someone would retrieve via the REST api, and then modify.
They'd then POST their .yaml file to deploy their app. It has now been
used as the list of apps to include in a "quick launch" view. If
designing a new `/v2` api, I'd explicitly support a "quick launch" list
and would get rid of the "template" versus "application" versus "entity"
distinction in the REST api (anywhere you can use an entity, you can use
an app; anywhere you need an app then a non-app entity will be
auto-wrapped in a basic-app).

Thoughts?

Aled