brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Bouron <thomas.bou...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Call for release: Brooklyn 0.12.0
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2017 09:39:24 GMT
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 at 22:57 Richard Downer <richard@apache.org> wrote:

> Replacing the classic RPM with a Karaf one makes me slightly nervous; I'm
> concerned if an `rpm --upgrade` would work from a classic version into a
> Karaf version without breaking anything. But I think there are few users
> using the RPM, and we are in a 0.x release series, so I would be content if
> the release notes described a manual uninstall-old, install-new procedure.

rpm/deb updates will need some manual steps to go from 0.11.0 to 0.12.0,
mainly for configuration and persisted state. But those steps are simple
enough. However, rpm/deb updates from 0.12.0 onward will be much more
easier than what currently exists (it is described in my PR) and will be
able to handle rollbacks which is a nice to have IMO.

I'll write up instructions in the docs for this soon.

I had considered if we should call this one "1.0", but that would mean that
> we would have to support the classic version for the 1.x series, which is
> probably not something we want to do.

+1. I would go for 0.12.0 with classic launcher deprecated, then remove it
entirely for 1.0

Best.
--

Thomas Bouron • Senior Software Engineer @ Cloudsoft Corporation •