brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bundles in Brooklyn
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2017 10:09:00 GMT
Hi Aled,

On 22 June 2017 at 18:51, Aled Sage <aled.sage@gmail.com> wrote:

> _*Business Case (aka value to end-users)*_
> It would be good to be clearer on the user-value we deliver from this (but
> please shout if others think that is already clear enough).

I have a fairly simple use case. At the moment (and I may be using Brooklyn
wrongly) when I'm incrementally developing blueprints and their related
resources in my IDE, I tell Brooklyn to install a BOM file which looks a
bit like this:

brooklyn.catalog:
  brooklyn.libraries:
    - name: foo.bar.MyApp
      version: 0.1.0.SNAPSHOT
      url: mvn:foo.bar/myapp/0.1.0-SNAPSHOT
  items:
    - "classpath://x.bom"
    - "classpath://y.bom"
    - "classpath://z.bom"

This installs the bundle and adds multiple BOMs, which in turn install
multiple catalog items.

But if I want to clean up my development work, I have to uninstall all the
catalog items manually, as well as my bundle.

Now the ZIP support is making this easier, but I would like it to be easier
still - I want to install the ZIP, and have all the catalog items magically
appear. I also want to be able to uninstall the ZIP, and have all the
catalog items disappear, everything cleaned up! And I also want this to be
true for Java entities inside OSGI bundles, not just ZIPs.

It's about have a single artifact which is treated as a unit, and
JustWorks(tm) - install it and everything is ready in one go, uninstall it
and everything is cleaned up in one go.

Richard.