brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creating virtual networks (was: Newbie questions)
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 09:21:22 GMT
Hi Daan,

I wrote some messages on this on IRC, but it seems you've dropped off the
channel. Here's some information.

It looks like this is not possible in pure Brooklyn. We rely on jclouds,
and jclouds Cloudstack doesn't do any automated management of networks - it
seems that it can search for and use existing networks when deploying a VM,
and supports the low-level network management APIs, but at the higher level
of automation it doesn't create networks.

But there is an advanced networking project for Brooklyn which I think can
do what you want: https://github.com/brooklyncentral/advanced-networking

It has support for some of Cloudstack's advanced network features. I think
particularly helpful for what you are looking for is
the brooklyn.networking.cloudstack.legacy.LegacySubnetTier entity. The idea
is that the subnet tier is a container for a group of entities, and all
those entities will be put into the same network, and can communicate
freely between themselves, with the network acting as the firewall/security
boundary. If I'm reading the code correctly, if you create a subnet tier
without assigning it a VPC config (I think there may be an AWS terminology
hangover there), then it will create a network in Cloudstack, and destroy
it when the app is stopped in Brooklyn.

I've not actually used this code myself (in fact, it's been several years
since I last worked with Cloudstack) - is there anybody on this list who
can share a blueprint that uses these features?

Cheers
Richard.