brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bundles in Brooklyn
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:51:13 GMT
+1 to this approach, but I suspect there's a lot more to discuss/plan.

_*Leaking OSGi*_
I agree with Geoff's worry of us "leaking OSGi". However, we should just
"leak" the semantics of bundle dependencies and versioning, which need
to be explained to the user. I think we can avoid exposing the OSGi
syntax anywhere (except for power-users who want it).

_*`brooklyn.libraries` versus `package-imports analogy*_
OSGi recommends the use of package-imports, rather than explicitly
depending on specific bundles.

The analogy for us would be to depend on other catalog item
name:versionRange (e.g. in a `brooklyn.imports` section, or whatever).
We'd then figure out which bundle to get those from using the same rules
as OSGi package-imports.

Is it worth exploring further that option, rather than going down the
`brooklyn.libraries` route?

_*References Between Bundles*_
I don't think long-term the `brooklyn.libraries` should have URLs of
other bundles. It could give the name:versionRange of other bundles
(which assumes they have somehow already been added to Brooklyn).

(Reasoning is that other smart folk don't embed the URLs, presumably
because they want people to chose which repo things will come from -
e.g. enterprise private repo, versus maven central, etc).

_*Deploying Multiple Bundles*_
I lean towards something analogous to the kar file, but maybe lighter
weight rather than introducing anything like "features".

Really we just need a list of bundle URLs. If someone then deletes one
of those bundles, which breaks the other bundles deployed along with it,
then tough!

_*Blueprint Validation*_
Longer term, it would be nice if we further improved our blueprint
validation to ensure all references in a catalog item being added are
actually resolvable.

Adding to Brooklyn the ability to add a list-of-bundles will no doubt
make that harder!

_*Incremental Steps?*_
This might well prove to be a big change under-the-covers. Things that
scare me include:
* do we need to re-implement for catalog-items the same
dependency/version rules as OSGi uses for class-loading? (+)
* how much will backwards compatibility with historic persisted state
make things hard for us.

Are there sensible ways to scope this and de-risk it? Any incremental
milestones, which give us incremental value or de-risk it?

(+) We could potentially hack something where we synthesise a
package/resource per catalog item in our auto-generated bundles, and
then ask OSGi where it would load that from! (But that feels like a bad
idea, because power-users might add their own bundles directly to karaf.)

_*Business Case (aka value to end-users)*_
It would be good to be clearer on the user-value we deliver from this
(but please shout if others think that is already clear enough).

We're making "upgrades" easier - focusing specifically on deploying a
second version of a catalog item, which can then be used (ignoring
upgrade of existing app instances for now).

We're solving something like the DLL-hell problem (currently, if you
don't declare explicit versions within your blueprint, then your
blueprint might break when someone else adds a newer version of your
dependent blueprint for their own usage). Our current workaround for DLL
hell is impractical: hardcode explicit version numbers of your
dependencies in the `type: name:version` (no support for version ranges
etc, and it would be burried deep within the yaml files).

We're making it easier to deploy different versions of a "group of
catalog items" (e.g. a big app that is split into several catalog
items). Currently (if you didn't hardcode versions in every `type: ...`
reference), deploying a 2.0.0 version would likely break a subsequent
deployment of the 1.0.0 version, because it would default to the latest
for each catalog reference. That is, you'd only get the 1.0.0 version of
the main item, and then the 2.0.0 version of each item it referenced.

We'd move away from `brooklyn.libraries` hard-coding URLs to other
bundles, which most likely goes against the security policies of many
enterprises!

Is that a fair summary? Anything to add/change?

Aled