brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Creating virtual networks (was: Newbie questions)
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 12:14:28 GMT
Thanks Richard, I saw your messages, see inline

On 02/06/2017, 11:21, "Richard Downer" <richard@apache.org> wrote:

    Hi Daan,

    I wrote some messages on this on IRC, but it seems you've dropped off the
    channel. Here's some information.

    It looks like this is not possible in pure Brooklyn. We rely on jclouds,
    and jclouds Cloudstack doesn't do any automated management of networks - it
    seems that it can search for and use existing networks when deploying a VM,
    and supports the low-level network management APIs, but at the higher level
    of automation it doesn't create networks.

    But there is an advanced networking project for Brooklyn which I think can
    do what you want: https://github.com/brooklyncentral/advanced-networking
I saw this but it doesn’t compile cleanly (yet). The code looks promising and I saw the
author, Aled is active here as well, so I’ll be diving in this further.

    It has support for some of Cloudstack's advanced network features. I think
    particularly helpful for what you are looking for is
    the brooklyn.networking.cloudstack.legacy.LegacySubnetTier entity. The idea
    is that the subnet tier is a container for a group of entities, and all
    those entities will be put into the same network, and can communicate
    freely between themselves, with the network acting as the firewall/security
    boundary. If I'm reading the code correctly, if you create a subnet tier
    without assigning it a VPC config (I think there may be an AWS terminology
    hangover there),
in cloudstack you can have an isolated network or an tier in a vpc (which is also a kind of
isolated network but sharing a virtual router with other tiers.

    then it will create a network in Cloudstack, and destroy
    it when the app is stopped in Brooklyn.
Is it possible to assign different acitvators for stop and destroy and for create and start?

    I've not actually used this code myself (in fact, it's been several years
    since I last worked with Cloudstack) - is there anybody on this list who
    can share a blueprint that uses these features?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    On 2 June 2017 at 08:46, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >     author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or
    > related
    >     companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you
    > must
    >     neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to
    >     anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this
    >     email in error.
    >
    >     Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
    > services:
    >     IaaS Cloud Design & Build
    >     <http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build/> | CSForge – rapid
    > IaaS
    >     deployment framework <http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
    >     CloudStack Consulting <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/> |
    >     CloudStack
    >     Software Engineering <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-
    > engineering/>
    >     CloudStack Infrastructure Support
    >     <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> | CloudStack
    >     Bootcamp Training Courses <http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
    >

    > Daan Hoogland
    > Senior Software Developer
    > s: +31 61400 4545  |   d: +44(0) 20 3603 0540
    > e: daan.hoogland@shapeblue.com  |  w: www.shapeblue.com  |  t:  @shapeblue
    > a: 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London  WC2N 4HSUK
    >

    > Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England &amp; Wales. ShapeBlue
    > Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under
    > license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a
    > company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape
    > Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of
    > South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is
    > a registered trademark.This email and any attachments to it may be
    > confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
    > it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
    > author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related
    > companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must
    > neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to
    > anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this
    > email in error.
    >
    > Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related services:
    > IaaS Cloud Design &amp; Build    |    CSForge - rapid IaaS deployment
    > framework
    > CloudStack Consulting    |    CloudStack Software Engineering
    > CloudStack Infrastructure Support    |    CloudStack Bootcamp Training
    > Courses

Daan Hoogland
Senior Software Developer
s: +31 61400 4545  |   d: +44(0) 20 3603 0540
e: daan.hoogland@shapeblue.com  |  w: www.shapeblue.com  |  t:  @shapeblue
a: 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London  WC2N 4HSUK

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England &amp; Wales. ShapeBlue Services India