brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Svetoslav Neykov <s...@cloudsoft.io>
Subject Re: Versions in Brooklyn
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 09:10:33 GMT
+1 to the proposal.

One thing I have reservations about is having a recommended version syntax with other formats
still supported but deprecated.
As far as I understand the recommended syntax is there so we can guarantee a uniqueness of
the OSGi versions (when the source version is unique). Instead of having a recommended syntax
can we document what we consider a unique version and let the user decide what format to follow?

Svet.

> On 20.06.2017 г., at 14:23, Alex Heneveld <alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
>

> I've drafted the documentation for how this could be explained to users.  This may be
easier to grok than the email:

> https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-docs/pull/198/files#diff-21dacc664dfe4d0a156d65d768a0f0e2R28
>
> Best
> Alex
>

> On 19/06/2017 17:39, Alex Heneveld wrote:
>>
>> Hi All-
>>
>> TL;DR - I am proposing that we encourage versions in Brooklyn of the form "1.1.0"
or "1.2-qualifier" such as "1.2-SNAPSHOT", silently mapping when needed to OSGi as "1.1.0"
or "1.2.0.qualifier" / "1.2.0.SNAPSHOT"

>> Further to my last mail -- we have a bit of discord between various versioning schemes--
>>
>> * GitHub SemVer - which everyone talks lovingly about (though often not knowledgeably,
and it's stricter than I realized!)
>> * OSGi versioning - a precursor to (1), in widespread use but I've never heard anyone
say anything nice about it
>> * Maven - allows whatever you want but has recommendations and conventions most people
kinda follow

>> They all agree on up to three numbers at the start.  It's what comes after that varies,
usually either a "-" (semver, maven, conventions) or "." (osgi), followed by qualifiers.
If practice almost everyone seems to do "-" followed by qualifiers -- however qualifiers in
practice often don't follow the strict constraints of semver (no leading zeroes, no underscores)
nor some of the maven recommendations (use of build number).

>> (Detailed summary on SemVer and OSGi versioning is included below for reference.)
>>
>> So far, Brooklyn hasn't had an opinion and I liked it that way. However when registering
OSGi bundles we MUST confirm with OSGi versioning there.  I'm pretty sure it's NOT desirable
to enforce OSGi versioning on types, given that few people use it.  BUT we are moving to a
world where I think we want type versions (entity versions etc) to align with bundle versions:
 there is really no point in types having different versions to their defining bundle!  This
makes for an incompatibility between what people would naturally use and what we have to use
within OSGi.

>> With examples, my assumption is that people want to use and see strings like "1.1-SNAPSHOT".
  But under the covers the OSGi bundle needs to have "1.1.0.SNAPSHOT".

>> I propose we resolve this by recommending a version syntax which fits what most things
people are doing and which is bi-di mappable to OSGi.  We use this version everywhere except
where a strict OSGi version is needed.  We WARN if we get a non-compliant version in a place
which might be ambiguous.  And we minimise places where we need to rely on mapping.  (The
main place a mapping is needed is if we need to create an OSGi version or compare with an
OSGi version.)

?
>>    where qualifier can have letters, numbers, "-" or "_" but NOT additional ".".
>>
>> We construct an OSGi version, when needed, by replacing the first "-" with "." and
inserting 0's if needed for a missing minor/patch.  So "1.1-SNAPSHOT" becomes "1.1.0.SNAPSHOT"
when an OSGi version is needed.

>> Note that the above is a SHOULD.  The only strict requirement is the version string
MUST NOT contain a ":".  (That breaks parsing.)

>> Where non-compliant versions are supplied, we WARN, but things work.  We apply simple
heuristics to create a valid OSGi version -- but the problem is that we can no longer guarantee
uniqueness ("0.0.0-a" and "0.0.0.a" would be conflated), and the result is possibly quite
different to the input (eg "v1" would become "0.0.0.v1").  For this reason if given a non-compliant
version string we WARN what the result is and that the resulting OSGi version could conflict
with similar but not-identical version strings -- but things work fine unless someone is trying
to have different bundles for "0.0.0-a" and "0.0.0.a"!

>> (If version is taken from MANIFEST.MF we reverse map to find the brooklyn type versions,
by changing the ".<qualifier>" to "-<qualifier>"; no warning is needed here however
as there is no risk of non-uniqueness.)

>> Returning to examples:
>>
>> * If a user specifies "1.1-SNAPSHOT" that's what they will see everywhere except
deep within OSGi where they will see "1.1.0.SNAPSHOT"
>> * If a user includes a MANIFEST.MF they would have to use "1.1.0.SNAPSHOT" syntax
there; they should still use "1.1-SNAPSHOT" in the catalog.bom (or "1.1.0-SNAPSHOT" would
be fine too).  If they use "1.1.0.SNAPSHOT" in the catalog.bom things will work, but they
will get a warning, and "1.1.0-SNAPSHOT" is what will display in the UI.  If a different number
or qualifier (eg "1.2.0-SNAPSHOT" or "1.1-beta") is used, it will give an ERROR because the
mapping will make an inconsistent OSGi version.

>> I think the only other big options are to require OSGi everywhere (user unfriendly,
and bad for backwards compatibility) or completely decouple OSGi bundle version from type
versions (overly confusing).  So while I'm reluctant to get in to the "versions should look
like XXX" I think it's worth it to play nicely in OSGi and semver, and the above I think is
the simplest and best way (even if the technicalities don't look so simple on first read!).

>> That said if there are version strings people want that aren't going to be well-supported
with this proposal, please shout now!

>> Best
>> Alex
>>

>> APPENDIX - Comparison of SemVer and OSGi
>>
>> GITHUB SEMVER - https://github.com/mojombo/semver/blob/master/semver.md

 ( "+" <build_id> )?*

>> The first three parts are numbers.
>> Where <pre_release_id> and <build_id> are dot-separated tokens made up
of letters, digits, and "-".
>> Key things:
>> * numbers and and pre_release_id tokens must not consist of numbers with leading
zeros (e.g. "1.01" is not valid, nor is "1.0.0-01"; but "1.0.0+01" is)
>> * "-" immediately after the patch indicates pre-release and special precedence rules
apply
>> * build-id metadata should be ignored when computing precedence
>>

>> OSGI VERSIONING - https://www.osgi.org/release-4-version-4-3-download/ - sections
1.3.2 and 3.2.5

)? )?*

>> The first three parts are the same as semver, except leading zeros are allowed.
>> <qualifier> consists of letters, numbers, "-", and "_".
>>

>> SUMMARY OF DIFFERENCES
>>
>> (1) OSGi allows abbreviating when there is no qualifier data (e.g. "1.1") whereas
semver doesn't (has to be "1.1.0")
>> (2) OSGi requires a dot before the qualifier, whereas semver uses "-" or "+" depending
on what the qualifier is meant for