brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Downer <rich...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code Contribution: Container Service
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 19:53:57 GMT
Hi Aled,

On 10 May 2017 at 17:22, Aled Sage <aled.sage@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1; sounds great.
>
> I think the next steps would be for the code to be made publicly viewable,
> for any 3rd party licenses etc to be checked, and then for us to kick off a
> formal vote?

We are at the technical assessment stage - establishing if this is
something we want in Apache Brooklyn, etc. In the mean time, Cloudsoft will
almost certainly want to audit their existing source code to make sure it
is suitable for public consumption (e.g. does not contain any proprietary
code which Cloudsoft are not at liberty to relicense, commits do not
contain references to their customers or other confidential information,
etc.) and then share their code somewhere; then we can figure out if it
will integrate into our codebase and if so where.

> Richard: can you please guide us on the process?

Sure - the formal process, after Brooklyn has voted to accept it, is
described at [1]. It has to be executed by either an Officer or a Member of
the ASF - I am both, so the process can be summarised as "I will take care
of it" :-)

We and Cloudsoft have done this twice before (once for the Brooklyn CLI,
and once for the CAMP Server), so I don't expect any problems. Cloudsoft
will need to complete a legal Software Grant Agreement, so I'll need
assistance from Cloudsoft management, but it shouldn't be too onerous.

Richard.

[1]https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html