brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Corbett <sam.corb...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Faster PR reviews
Date Wed, 03 May 2017 16:38:57 GMT
I used GitHub to check the number of pull requests we've merged to a few
of our projects over the last year in two month-chunks [1]. Each list
begins today and works backwards:

brooklyn-server: 86, 79, 85, 68, 95, 78.
brooklyn-client: 7, 4, 3, 8, 2, 4.
brooklyn-library: 11, 12, 9, 7, 17, 8.
total: 104, 95, 97, 83, 114, 90.

It's my opinion that these numbers show a consistency in the rate at
which we merge pull requests. Since a few committers have recently
joined I expect the rate to increase over the next few months. I would
like to know other figures like the average length of time between
opening a pull request and a committer merging it and the average length
of time before the first review comment. I'm sure there are many other
interesting metrics that could inform this discussion.

Maybe there's just one or two cases that we have managed badly.
Identifying those pull requests and understanding the cause of the delay
to each one would be valuable.

Regarding the complexity of Brooklyn and speaking as someone that has
used it in anger (sometimes literally) I would posit that many of us
have been caught out several times by the corner cases and unexpected
interactions between components that complexity so often implies. This
leads to cautious reviews and slow turnaround times. Quick-scan reviews
solve the speed at which we get code into the product. We need to think
harder about how we reduce its overall complexity.

Sam

1. I used GitHub's interface to search for "is:pr
merged:2017-03-04..2017-05-03", etc.