brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApplicationClusters
Date Tue, 30 May 2017 12:54:01 GMT
Hi Daan,

Sounds interesting! Brooklyn seems like a good fit for what you're
looking for.

Within Brooklyn, there's a separation of the application definition and
the location to which it is to be deployed - apps can be written to be
location-agnostic. From your perspective, the good thing about that is
someone can write an app without saying about the specific location, and
then the location is wired in behind the scenes at deploy time (e.g.
based on the given user's identity, and the implicit CloudStack endpoint
url).

Brooklyn also includes an application catalog. Users can choose apps
from the catalog, can compose new apps using the catalog items as
building blocks, and can add new blueprints to the catalog.

---
A few questions/comments:

Are you planning to extend the existing CloudStack API to support app
provisioning (and the subsequent lifecycle of the app)? What about
catalog management?

Could the new API calls take something like the Brooklyn YAML format for
the app definitions, and for catalog items?

What is your reasoning on pros/cons of embedding Brooklyn versus running
it as a stand-alone process (which could be automatically deployed as
part of the CloudStack installation)? If it was a stand-alone app, one
would interact with it via the REST api.

---
It's also worth mentioning OSGi. Brooklyn currently can be run as a
vanilla Java process, or in Karaf. We're moving towards making more and
more use of Karaf (e.g. it helps with versioning of catalog items, where
those items include Java code or resources such as bash scripts uploaded
to the Brooklyn server).

Does the place you embed Brooklyn run as an OSGi container? If not, then
would that mean you'd want to stick with the non-karaf way of running
the Brooklyn engine long-term?

Aled