brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Bouron <thomas.bou...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: Brooklyn website
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2017 07:21:04 GMT
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 at 00:32 Alex Heneveld <alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com>
wrote:

> Wow - really like this!  Very clean and elegant.

Thanks!

> I think we should /show/ a little bit more what we mean by
> modeling/deploying/managing -- eg for modelling (code snippet), and a
> graphic w cloud icons for deploy, and maybe a UI screenshot for manage ?

I'm not sure I agree with that. I deliberately went for less because I
believe less is more, especially on the homepage. Adding a code snippet,
screenshots abd logos will do the reverse IMO. You started this thread by
saying that Brooklyn is always considered as complicated, doing this will
reinforce this feeling IMO.

That being said, we could add a page to have a UI tour, with a link to it
in the "Get Started" menu item?

> And not sure about curl-to-bash for install -- some people are
> uncomfortable with that (in any case we should curl from an apache site
> for a release, not github).

I used github as an example, this is not a real URL.

> But some one-line quick start would be
> nice.  A docker image?  (And can say jump to Get Started for other
> flavours of installs.)

Why not for the docker image. I went for the curl command because that's
the only one that does not require the user to install anything else. If
you think about it, a quick start guide that starts by "Install docker" or
"Install vagrant AND VirtualBox" is far from a great way to start for a
first-time Brooklyn user. Now I might be wrong about this and if it is the
case, then I'm happy to change it (again, that's just a prototype)
Regarding the other flavours of install, it's specified in a link, below
the shell command ;)

Lastly instead of the brooklyn logo font, can you just use the big logo
> PNG that is currently in use on the site?

I could do that but:

   1. the quality is not as nice as pure text
   2. from an semantic/SEO point of view, it's better to use the text as
   crawler will be able to read it

Also, I don't know if you noticed but I rearranged the menu items. I was
planning to do this + update all the web dependencies i.e. bootstrap,
jquery, etc

Best
--

Thomas Bouron • Senior Software Engineer @ Cloudsoft Corporation •