brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Remove java 7 support
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2017 13:08:47 GMT
Hi all,

I propose we switch to Java 8 for Apache Brooklyn (i.e. require Java 8;
remove support for using Java 7 when running Brooklyn).

This will make our testing simpler, improving coverage (e.g. we don't
currently test everything with Brooklyn running both on Java 7 and Java
8). It will make our lives easier as developers (e.g. don't need to
worry about Java 7 versus Java 8 when compiling, running tests and
manually testing Brooklyn; and we can use Java 8 features).

Java 7 reached end of life in April 2015 [1]; Java 8 was released March
2014.

We can do this in three stages:

  * Switch to Java 8 as "official target"
      o Update our jenkins etc to always build/run with Java 8.
      o All developers/testers switch to Java 8 locally.
      o Add to the next release notes that Java 7 is no longer supported.
  * Update our poms so they don't compile/check for Java 7 compatibility
    [3,4,5].
  * Developers free to start using Java 8 language features!

Stage 1 would be the bare minimum for the next release; I think we
should do all three stages before the 0.11.0 release.

Aled

[1] https://java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml
[2] https://www.infoq.com/news/2015/05/Oracle-Ends-Java-7Public-Updates
[3] https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/blob/master/pom.xml#L91