brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Macartney <geoff.macart...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Managing security groups using jclouds
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2016 19:16:14 GMT
hi Jose

about "I think keyPairs could be also managed easily in spite of the
aforementioned jcloud’s limitations (ec2 and nova 2.0). Probably Geoff
Macartney could say something about that"...

I'm not sure I could say very much!  :-)   I haven't looked into the
details of the APIs for keys yet, it sounds like you know more about them
than I do.  What I guess I would like to see either within Brooklyn or
JClouds is a simple tool for managing keys, as the "SecurityGroupEditor" is
intended to be for security groups (I'm sure it could use a bit of work
yet).  I don't know what JClouds provides as an abstraction for keys, or
whether that might be something we could introduce in Brooklyn.   Perhaps
you would like to suggest an approach?  I'd be glad to review and discuss.

cheers
Geoff

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 at 20:04 Jose Carrasco <josec@lcc.uma.es> wrote:

> [...]
> not created by Brooklny (jclouds).
>
> In any case, Geoff Macartney has already solved this issue in
> brooklyn-server#245 ([2]).  Geoff Macartney, I was using brooklyn 0.9.0 and
> I did not know this new feature, thanks to clarify this point :)
>
> Alex Henevel, Svetoslav Neykov, I agree with you. Stop operation could be
> in charge of managing elements that are
> forgotten by jclouds (security groups, key pairs, etc…).
>
> Unfortunately, jclouds does not offer a generic API to manage KeyPairs.
> KeyPairs can be managed from ec2 domain and nova 2.0 domain.
> I think keyPairs could be also managed easily in spite of the
> aforementioned jcloud’s limitations (ec2 and nova 2.0). Probably Geoff
> Macartney could say
> something about that. In any case (if it is possible) I would like to help
> there.
>
> Best,
> Jose
>
> [1]  https://gist.github.com/kiuby88/6052da2ad1bd9499661e09ca44111e06
> [2] https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/425
>

> El 01/12/2016, a las 13:34, Svetoslav Neykov <
> svetoslav.neykov@cloudsoftcorp.com> escribió:
>
> > A "recycle bin" sounds like a nice solution to the problem. We could
> improve jclouds to clean up security groups but I believe having Brooklyn
> manage them is where we should be heading long term. The reason is that
> Brooklyn is starting to create security groups on its own (say through
> SharedLocationSecurityGroupCustomizer) so it can't rely on jclouds to clean
> them up.
> > It's not only security groups. It's the same for any other managed cloud
> resource (like private keys, disks, etc.). One thing that I'd like to have
> in the UI is an exhaustive list of items we've created in the cloud and
> that are expected to be cleaned up at some point. Making locations a first
> class object in Brooklyn sounds like part of the solution here.
> >
> > Svet.
> >

> >> On 1.12.2016 г., at 14:14, Alex Heneveld <
> alex.heneveld@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This litter is irritating.  On the other hand we don't want application
> >> stops to wait an arbitrarily long time for sec groups to become
> deletable.
> >>
> >> I'd love to switch to a model where location instances become entities.
> >> Security groups could also become part of that, and managed explicitly
> in
> >> the runtime model.  "Stop" might then take a long time, or fail, but at
> >> least it's explicit...
> >>
> >> Or if we have some kind of internal "application" with management
> state, it
> >> might have a "recycling bin" and as part of "stop" we move  redundant
> but
> >> not-yet-deletable security groups there, and a policy there tries
> >> periodically to remove them.  This way it's transparent what we're
> doing,
> >> but doesn't get in the way of normal operation, and also doesn't leave

SG

> also

> more

It