brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate @SetFromFlag
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:44:14 GMT
Responding to some more of Alex's comments that he made in the renamed
email thread "[PROPOSAL] Deprecate config key aliases / SetFromFlag"...

---
To be clear, if the conclusion from the "Deprecate config key aliases"
discussion is that we support multiple non-deprecated names, then this
proposal will support that (see "Part 2" of the original email).

I'm assuming we'd *not* want aliases to deliberately have different
semantics (e.g. not inherited). But if we did, we can support that by
being explicit in the ConfigKey, rather than using the `@SetFromFlag`
annotation.

---
Alex wrote:
   "the real issue in my view is that we have too many aliases and they
are used inconsistently without good docs/help."

This proposal gives us a clear way to improve that. The multiple names
would all be defined on the ConfigKey, and we'd clearly indicate which
are the deprecated names.

Once we have that, one can incrementally clean up ConfigKey names on
existing entities, as desired.

---
Alex wrote:
"a canonical form and interactive help on keys will go a long way
towards solving that"

Again, this proposal begins to tackle that. It makes all the name(s)
available on the entity's type, so they can be included in
auto-generated docs and so that a more sophisticated YAML composer can
get access to them.

This proposed change is also a big enabler for the usability improvements.

---
Alex wrote:
"simply deprecating aliases without [a canonical form and interactive
help on keys] is just going to be irritating."

I disagree. It will make it explicit which name is the recommended one,
and which names are deprecated-but-still-supported.

---
 > "similarly i'd like us to have a better tie in with source control
and developer workflow before advocating a big change to blueprints"

I don't think that deprecating @SetFromFlag is a big change to
blueprints. It is a big clean-up, and makes things clearer.

Also, if it allows us to clean up pieces of horrible code that treat
`@SetFromFlag` and config key names differently, then it will make
subsequent big changes (e.g. to YAML parsing and entity construction)
easier and less risky.

Aled