brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate config key aliases / SetFromFlag
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 11:26:22 GMT
Thanks Alex.

For aliases for the _type_, agreed. We'll need to be careful how we
choose/register those aliases. That feels like a different discussion
from this one, which focuses on configKey names though.

---
For "replace the ad hoc code for different types e.g. EntitySpec,
PolicySpec, ..."

My understanding was that #363 would radically change our YAML parsing
(and later persistence). However, we would still generate the Java
objects like `EntitySpec` and still use the Entity Factory for
constructing them. I assumed we would still (at the java backend level)
have the ConfigKey class.

I agree we can make other big improvements for getting rid of
differences between EntitySpec, PolicySpec etc, and differences between
how Entity and Policy handle config/attributes etc. Again, that feels
like a different topic.

---
You said "for readability i'd say that a comfortable alias is nicer to
work with and should be the canonical form, as opposed to a long and
ugly identifier".

I question whether we need the long and ugly identifier at all (except
as a deprecated name for backwards compatibility).

Perhaps we also have a difference of opinion of how the alias should
behave. I think that, if it exists, it should be a genuine alias that
can be used anywhere that the other name(s) can be used. Do you think we
should have different rules for where the alias can be used and how it
behaves (e.g. never inherited in the runtime management hierarchy,
and/or never inherited by sub-types)?

---
I'll respond on the separate email thread ("Deprecate @SetFromFlag")
about how best to move towards those usability improvements.

(So this thread is just about whether we should have aliases - they are
separate questions).

Aled