brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Remove unauthenticated localhost login
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 14:12:23 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to remove from Brooklyn the feature where you can login
authenticated from localhost.
_*
Current Situation*_
When you first start Brooklyn on a new machine (so no
brooklyn.properties etc), it will auto-generate an initial username +
password and log that. For example:

    2016-09-08 15:03:48,631 INFO  No security provider options
    specified. Define a security provider or users to prevent a random
    password being created and logged.
    2016-09-08 15:03:48,632 INFO  Starting Brooklyn web-console with
    passwordless access on localhost and protected access from any other
    interfaces (no bind address specified)
    2016-09-08 15:03:48,633 INFO  Allowing access to web console from
    localhost or with brooklyn:sgZZL9qqBd
    2016-09-08 15:03:50,572 INFO  Started Brooklyn console at
    http://127.0.0.1:8083/, running classpath://brooklyn.war@

If you connect from localhost, you can login without any credentials.

If you connect from an external IP, you will need to use those credentials.

_*Pros and Cons*_
This is convenient for first-time users (they don't need to worry about
setting up a username/password if running Brooklyn on their local
machine). We have to explain a little less before they can try out AMP.

But it will also feel like a security hole.

It will makes the experience of installing Brooklyn on a server very
different from the localhost experience. This is particularly true as we
encourage the use of RPM/DEB for installing Brooklyn.

_*Proposal*_
I propose removing this, so localhost logins also require credentials.

We'd also ensure the docs point at the username:password for accessing
the web-console. It is a problem that we don't already call this out
(e.g. at
http://brooklyn.apache.org/v/latest/start/running.html#control-apache-brooklyn
and http://brooklyn.apache.org/v/latest/ops/gui/running.html) because
users installing on a server will not know what to do.

Aled