brooklyn-dev mailing list archives

From Aled Sage <aled.s...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove unauthenticated localhost login
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:32:05 GMT
Hi all,

I still think we really need to change the status quo. For me, there are
two very compelling arguments:

 1. In karaf, it will always prompt for a username and password.
    If running in localhost, you can enter any text and it will accept
    it. But you do have to "log in".
 2. If running on a server, you need to find the auto-generated
    username:password from the log or from stdout.

(1) is a bad user experience - the user doesn't know what to type, and
then it turns out that it is a pointless login dialog! It happens
because the login is controlled by the jaas configuration, which then
delegates to Brooklyn code for checking the given username and password.

For (2), I'd expect a fair number of users to go down this route.
Currently the Brooklyn docs are not good at telling you how to find this
username and password (partly because we have entirely different login
behaviour for localhost, vagrant and remote-server). We are also all in
agreement (I think) that it's a poor user experience.

---
I'd like a consistent way for us to handle initial login on both
localhost and server (and vagrant) - one that we are happy for users to
experience, and for us to document well.

---
_*New Proposal*_

On initial connection via the web-console, it asks the server if there
is any security configuration options set. If there is not, the
web-console immediately re-directs the user to a page for creating the
initial user:password. Once submitted, the username and hash of the
password are written to $KARAF_HOME/etc/brooklyn.cfg for subsequent use.

Over time, we'd further improve this to allow someone to set up the
initial security configuration via this page (e.g. giving LDAP details,
etc).

_Implementation Considerations_
Not sure of the details. It would be a bit fiddly, but hopefully not too
hard.

The web-console would need to do some initial requests to find out if a
new user needs to be created. It would then redirect, POST the
user-creation request, and automatically login with the new credentials.

Server-side, we'd need some way for an unauthenticated user to submit
the is-security-configured request and the initial-login-user-creation
request. If we continue to use the existing Karaf jaas configuration,
then the web-console could have submitted some garbage credentials so we
get into the Brooklyn code (perhaps with default entitlements ensuring
that all other access is forbidden); or we could have an unauthenticated
REST endpoint that would handle its own security checks - always
rejecting requests if any security configuration exists (which sounds
scary).

We'd need to extend the Brooklyn REST api for login-user-creation.

For now, it would write to the $KARAF_HOME/etc/brooklyn.cfg file. Longer
term, we could store the security config in the Brooklyn persisted state.

We could also extend the Brooklyn CLI to support doing the
initial-login-user-creation.

---
_*Alternative Proposal 1*_
If consensus is that folk really love the default of
localhost-has-no-authentication, then we could look more into how to
configure Karaf jaas so that it doesn't prompt for a login. I personally
haven't been involved in that, so not sure how feasible/hard it is.

---
_*Alternative Proposal 2*_
We could make the default be unauthenticated (including disabling jaas
in the default config files).

Aled

On 08/09/2016 22:05, John McCabe wrote:
> By way of comparison, Jenkins deploys out of the box with no auth.
>
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 at 21:11 Svetoslav Neykov <
> svetoslav.neykov@cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:
>
>> Letsencrypt (or any other certification) is a no go on localhost or on
>> remotes where you don't know the domain name used to access it.
>> Browsers are moving slowly to a place where even plain http will trigger
>> security warnings so self-signed won't be such a bad alternative at that
>> point.
>>
>> +1 for removing unauthenticated localhost access

>> password may be "buried" when installing on a server)?
>>> It has always been ugly but has struck me as the least ugly option.
>> Here's an alternative which has a better user experience with the same
>> level of security.
>> When Brooklyn starts it sees that no password is configured so generates
>> one (as it does currently) and puts it in brooklyn.properties or
>> etc/brooklyn.cfg (btw straightforward to implement in Karaf). The
>> documentation points the user to look for the password in that file which
>> is very easy to do as the file is minimally populated at this point - way
>> easier than sorting through a log file - always at the same line. This has
>> the possitive effect that the password remains the same between restarts.
>> It's been discussed already - don't remember what the cons were?
>>
>>> Is there a way to pass metadata to rpm/deb?  That would be nice, we
>> recommend running "yum install brooklyn -d admin.password=s3cr3t"
>> That's no different from telling the user in docs to do "yum install
>> brooklyn && echo admin.password=s3cr3t >> /etc/brooklyn.cfg". The former
>> feels like magic, the latter self-documents how to change the password at
>> any point.
>> As for the question itself - won't be surprised if passing an environment
>> variable will let the postinstall script access it and do whatever it needs
>> to (as a subshell to the current session).
>>

>> Svet.
>>

>>> On 8.09.2016 г., at 22:18, John McCabe <john@johnmccabe.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> re: letsencrypt, their flow requires the node requesting the cert be
>>> publicly accessible, a problem for getting started, but super useful in
>>> most other cases.

>> getting
>> the
>> on